Meet Science Teacher Mrs. Deeds!

Science+teacher+Mrs.+Deeds+is+a+dedicated+teacher+and+one+many+students+enjoy+learning+from.+

Kate Morgan

Science teacher Mrs. Deeds is a dedicated teacher and one many students enjoy learning from.

There are many hard working teachers here at Gig Harbor High School! I found a teacher who really deserves a spot light. Mrs. Deeds is a Biology and AP Biology teacher. Her infectious energy makes science fun! I went in one day to find out a little bit more about Mrs. Deeds and here is what I found.

Q: How long have you been teaching?

A: “This will be my 23rd year of teaching.”

Q: What inspired you to be a teacher?

A: “I was inspired to teach by my high school Chemistry teacher, Mr. Wiley. He made science fun and made us feel like we would grow up to be great scientists.  I thought it would be cool to be able to do the same thing.”

Q: If you were not a biology teacher, what would you teach and why?

A: “If I was not a Biology teacher, I would probably teach Chemistry. My minor in college was Chemistry and I liked the chemistry of living things.”

Q: What values do you think are the most important to have and why?

A: “The most important value for me is respecting and caring for living things- people and our living world.”

What animal is your favorite? Any nice memories as to why this animal is your favorite?

A: “My favorite animal is a difficult question. I have a hard time picking just one. I think the more time you spend watching a bird or other animal the more you learn how special it is. I grew up on a small farm with a huge menagerie of animals- ducks, geese, chickens, goats, sheep, pigs, cats, dogs, rabbits and a pony.  My barnyard favorite was my goat, Pollyanna.  She was quite a handful. She would unlock the gate and let all the animals out into our garden. They would eat all our vegetables. One day she got out of her pen and jumped into our hammock. Her legs went through the netting and she was stuck swinging in the hammock until we go home from school.”  

Q: Do you have any special hobbies?

A: “My hobby is gardening.  I enjoy landscaping and also growing a vegetable garden. I have finally built a greenhouse this summer and am looking forward to using it this Spring.”

Q: What is your favorite thing about Gig Harbor High School?

A: “My favorite thing about GHHS is the students and staff.  What a great group of people to work with every day.  It makes me happy!”

I believe that students do not truly appreciate their teachers and stop to look at who the teachers really are. Teachers all have a background, hobbies and tales. Students should take that extra 30 seconds to thank the teachers that help them learn and grow. Most teachers will offer many chances to better your grades because they truly care about you.