The Game’s Afoot

A Funny, Entertaining, and Great Mystery Play for All Ages!

Madi Sams

Seniors Tristan Smit and Mariah Squires rehearsing for the play.

Mysterious plot twists, massive turning set pieces, eye catching special effects, and sidesplitting hilarity can be found in Gig Harbor High School’s 2014 Fall Play, The Game’s Afoot. Students and community members will sit at the edge of their seats anticipating how Broadway Star William Gillette, played by Jacob Paul, will unravel this perplexing murder-mystery. Set in December 1936, Gillette is known for his role as Sherlock Holmes. But, when the festive celebration with his cast-members turns into a murder, Gillette channels his inner detective to solve the case. As the story unfolds, the plot twists and “humor ensues” (Jacob Paul).

This small cast of eight, along with sixteen hardworking crew members, know how to pack a punch. This show has “a lot of mystery, a lot of comedy, and it’s tech heavy,” mentions Senior Tristan Smit, who plays Felix Geisel. “Its all about the chemistry that forms between actors and the chemistry that forms between the crew,” Jacob Paul adds. In other words, this show relies on teamwork and full participation. Senior Mariah Squires, who plays Madge Geisel, loves this production for all its “firsts, like the massive set that, [is] usually [saved] for the musical,” and how all the women get custom made costumes, “so they’re gorgeous.” Additionally, they’re using impressive special effects that have never been done before. Mariah admits that this show is a challenge in all the right ways, and she couldn’t be more proud of the cast and crew. “For ten dollars, this show is unbelievably worth it.” (Mariah Squires)

“The Game’s Afoot gives you everything you love about live theatre. Billed as a comedy thriller you will find yourself swept along for a wild and funny ride.

— Cleveland Fine Arts Examiner

Missing this comical adventure would be as mistake. Come out and support the Gig Harbor High School Drama Department November 13-15, 21-22 at 7 pm and November 16th at 3 pm. Tickets are sold at the door, 10 dollars for adults and 8 dollars for students/seniors. All ages will enjoy this production and find themselves immersed in this story and enchanted by the “seriously entertaining and interesting characters” (Mariah Squires).