Meet our New Vice Principal Mrs. Grant

I was able to interview our new assistant principal Mrs. Grant. Before arriving at Gig Harbor High School for 15 years Mrs. Grant was a teacher and an administrator at Jason Lee Middle School in Tacoma. She was originally from New York and moved to the North West when she was six years old. Grant herself attended Blanchet High School in Seattle. In high school she played soccer, softball, and basketball. History was her favorite subject. “I loved school,” says Grant.

Being married for 29 years and having three kids, Mrs. Grant enjoys spending time with her family. Along with 47 nieces and nephews and 40 great nieces and nephews, there’s plenty of family time. Other than spending time with her family Mrs. Grant enjoys hiking and reading. She also loves the fall and her 18 year old dog.    

I asked her to describe herself in three words. “Outgoing, hardworking, and caring,” answers Grant. These are all assets that this school needs.

The next question was why she came here. “Well I knew it was time for a change, a friend of mine in Gig Harbor asked me to apply for the job and I got it.”

Next I asked her why she wanted to be a teacher. “I knew in the fifth grade that I wanted to be a teacher.”

I asked her, “What is your favorite part of your job so far?”

“Probably building relationships with students and staff,” agreed Grant.

As Grant is the new vice principal, she has to adjust to a new schedule. Therefore, I asked her to “describe a typical schedule of your day.”

“I usually greet students, pop in and out of classrooms, and try to get to get to know students at lunch.” says Grant.

I asked, “What is the most frustrating part of your job so far?

“Not being able to know students names,” laughed Grant.

It is fantastic to have Mrs. Grant here at Gig Harbor High, and will be a great addition to our staff. She is funny and a great person to work with. We all are looking forward to your time being here. I’m glad you’re planning for Gig Harbor High to be “Home for a while.”