Gig Harbor says farewell to longtime PE Teacher Mr. Mahaffie

Each year in school teachers come and go but each one will leave a special mark on the school in their own way, sadly this year Gig Harbor High School is losing Mr.Mahaffie after 38 years teaching swim at at our school and coaching the Swim team and Water polo. I was lucky to get to interview him before he retired and finding out his thoughts about the school also some more about his life.

Patrick Mahaffie started coaching when he was 18 years old for a Swim club, he has always known he wanted to do something involving water. He began his first year teaching at Peninsula High School and transferred to Gig Harbor the first year it opened and has been here ever since. He has been head coach for 24 seasons, even when he took six years off, he just had to come back because he loved it so much. Mr. Mahaffie loves teaching high school aged kids and watching them become young adults.

When I asked him about his plans for retirement he was excited to share about his trip across America, spending time with his family, but besides that he isn’t sure what the future holds. He told me he wants to to spend lots of time outside, maybe start a garden, spend time at his beach house and most importantly, give back to the community. When I asked Mr. Mahaffie what he will miss most, he had a great response.

“I love teaching high schoolers and watching them become young adults. Just the little things mean a lot like reactions, questions and the conversations I have with them, teaching this age group can be messy but I love it. Most of all I will miss their creativity, each student is different and what they bring to class. As I see it I’m on a roller coaster and that I’ve been on for 38 years even with the ups and downs I love it. And as it comes to an end it’s bittersweet.”

Mr. Mahaffie, Gig Harbor High School will always remember you and we all hope retirement treats you well!