Inspirational Teacher of the Week: Ms. Kennedy Floyd

English teacher, Ms. Kennedy Floyd is appreciated here at GHHS. Photo taken by Kai Cole.

Working 36 years, 5 of which have been at Gig Harbor High school, Ms. Kennedy Floyd has changed the lives of many, including my own. If I had not gotten the opportunity to be her student, I feel I would be failing english and skipping class almost everyday. She makes me want to come to class and listen, and learn what I need to learn. These days, it’s hard to find a teacher who makes both getting to know students on a personal level and their success in the classroom a priority, but this teacher does just that.

I asked Ms. Kennedy about what made her want to teach english. ā€œI love people and I like making a difference in the lives of kids. I like giving them hope and direction and purpose. I love to read mainly and I love to write. And also I think it’s one of the more personal subjects where I get to know students better because they write and so I get to understand the way [they] think.ā€

She started working during the summer and went all the way to Germany to teach. Now she’s back in Washington teaching. Sadly she plans to work for only nine more years until she retires. She will truly be missed by all of Gig Harbor High School when the time comes. Ms. Kennedy Floyd, an english teacher at Gig Harbor High School, is one of the most inspiring teachers because of her joyful personality and willingness to help students when they need it.