Knowledge Is Power

Image obtained from theodysseyonline.com

In our modern day, we are taught that education is the first step to success. But in this generation, students are finding that there is an increasing high demand for well paid jobs that don’t necessarily require the conventional schooling that we are taught we must conquer. So the question is, should people go to college? Well, many sources find that it is a good idea, no matter the circumstance.

College education opens opportunities for a variety of different careers to go into. Going to college is not only about giving you a better chance at a possible career choice, but with your experience in a four year university, you will acquire more knowledge. When you gain knowledge you set new standards for yourself.  “The standards promote equity by ensuring all students, no matter where they live, are well prepared with the skills and knowledge necessary to collaborate and compete with their peers in the United States and abroad.” (“stand.org”). Knowledge makes you a more complex thinker. “People with strengths in complex thinking may be good at deeply understanding ideas and concepts, seeing connections among information from different sources, demonstrating imagination, constructing and defending arguments based on facts or evidence, taking risks with new ideas, and/or drawing inferences from limited information” (“Complex Thinking: Creativity, Critical Thought, and Logic”). Knowledge you acquire may help you have rational thinking. “Knowing how to solve problems is a key skill in life. Many researchers refer to this as the problem-solving cycle, which includes developing strategies and organizing knowledge” (Kendra Cherry).

College offers a variety of classes you can take, and these classes, unlike high school, are pertinent to your personal interests, therefore making them more enjoyable. College is also a place to experience people’s cultures and personalities. Throughout your lifetime, you will be confronted with multiple types of people, some of which you are familiar and most of them which you are not familiar to. In college, there are a variety of people in your classes, dorms, etc. A benefit from experiencing peoples culture is developing better communicative skills, accepting others differences, and experiencing different ways of doing things.

People argue that college education cost a lot, and so it is not worth it. It may be expensive, but there are ways to prevent college from costing a lot. Like going in state, being a student athlete, going into a military program, or just applying for scholarships and the FAFSA.

In conclusion, college education is important to living a comfortable life. College education results in high paying jobs, and better communication skills to make a stronger speaker. College education has many benefits, all pointing in a positive direction. College makes a student into a scholar and a scholar into a student again through years of more college. A bachelor’s is a degree but knowledge is forever.