Just Five More Minutes

Back to Article
Back to Article

Just Five More Minutes

Waking up in the morning can be difficult. School starts very early, and because of puberty-induced change in the circadian rhythm, teenagers tend to stay up later and wake up later. It’s no surprise that getting those extra five minutes in the morning is tempting.

The large majority of high school students use their phone as an alarm clock in the morning. Having your phone next to your bed allows pressing the snooze button in the morning to become a recurring habit. I polled students at GHHS to find out how common snoozing was among teenagers.

Fifteen students answered whether they pressed the snooze button in the morning or not, and if they did, how many times. Seven students said that they tend to snooze in the morning, while 8 students get up after the first alarm. On average, they snoozed twice before getting up, but one student snoozed 10 times. Many of the students who don’t snooze in the morning said that their parents wake them up in the morning. It seems like it’s very difficult for many teenagers to wake up by themselves, at least to the first alarm.

Even though the habit of snoozing is only making the start of the day harder, many students have planned their mornings to allow time for lying in bed. MaKenna Winn (12) said, “I set my alarm super early, and I set them five minutes apart. They go off every five minutes and I hit the [snooze] button until I have to get up or I’ll be late.” Doing this might decrease actual sleeping time, but snoozing seems to be essential for some people.