A Perfect (Snow) Storm

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Perfect (Snow) Storm

Ever since the slight sprinkling last Thursday, everyone in the Peninsula School District has been anxiously waiting for that one text, email, or phone call that will announce the anticipated snow day. Tuesday morning, when we glanced out our windows to see snow gently clinging unto our lawns, we thought for sure that we would finally get the break we were waiting for. However, much to our dismay, there was no notification that we were exempt from school. Yet, every other school district surrounding PSD announced either 2-hour delays or canceled the entirety of the school day. These districts made the right choice because PSD certainly got the backlash from their decision. A meme posted by the district went viral, but not in a good way.

The image– which had the humor of a wet piece of cardboard– was taken as an insult by most of the students who had to come to school at their usual time. As can be seen in the image above, it said “No Snow Day” with Patrick Star frowning. Commenters did not take the post lightly, nor did they feel the need to leave their feelings unheard.

Some users spoke of safety. One remarked, “On my way to school the roads were slick and my brother was driving the stick shift. Visibility was low. I live on the key peninsula and the snow was blowing on my way to ghhs hitting the windshield. I almost fell in the snow. Full disclosure, today should have been a snow day, PSD. Safety is important!!”

Meanwhile, others are going right for the kill. A user said, “How about instead of posting memes how bout you guys make a better curriculum.”

Let’s just say, commenting negatively on the post instantly became a trend, and PSD was not happy. With as of the time I am typing this, there are 1472 comments, excluding those that were allegedly deleted by the account.

When the comments skyrocketed, so did their defensive attitude. Instead of allowing the students to speak their minds, PSD responded by saying that all comments would be monitored and reported to schools. Of course, sorting through the comments to find that specific one proves nearly impossible, so there is also a chance that this comment is non-existent; however, PSD is still suffering the consequences.
The tactlessness of the district is irrefutable, and this needs to be shown. The deletion of comments is frowned upon by the internet community and is often considered to be an act of censorship. In addition to this, enforcing punishments on students for commenting on the post is unfair, and only shows disrespect for students. By posting this publicly, on a platform that is not created for nor by the school, they are opening themselves up to criticism– and there should be no punishment for students who use this as an opportunity to speak their mind. In all practicality, students should not be punished for something they are doing outside of school, even if it is during school hours. Anyone can comment, and this is their fault. Instead of playing into the stunt, the district should be focusing on replying calmly with an air of authority that doesn’t threaten students.

Other than the issue on Instagram, we can also look toward the mosh that formed on the Skybridge at noon. Students of all grades skipped class to gather at the GHHS Skybridge in protest, and the results were– as one would expect– non-existent. Everyone was sent back to class, and the school prevailed. In the end, these students did not reach the impact that they were striving for.

When you take a step back to look at the situation, the ridiculousness of it is apparent. Nevertheless, it goes to show that PSD needs to learn how to determine what is appropriate when dealing with these situations. They should learn from their mistakes, and make up for it by giving us an extra snow day– just kidding… kinda. They should learn how to deal with bad press and negative comments without censoring them; after all, they are a public school district and are bound to misstep again.