From Student to Teacher

Shannon L. Alder once said “Carve your name on hearts, not tombstones. A legacy is etched into the minds of others and the stories they share about you.” This is exactly what many Gig Harbor High School graduates did. Leaving a memory for all the future students that will come. One student, Pia Beetham, who went to Gig Harbor High School from the years 1992 to 1996 says so many things have changed but one change that stuck with her was the change in mascot. “When I went to school it was a guy with a bare chest that said tides and he had a blue cape and he had a toilet seat and then he would open the toilet seat and it would say Go Tides!” With our current mascot being the tide guy, it’s not much of a shift.  In 92 Gig Harbor High School had just remodeled the school. Beetham says it was harder to tell the difference between seniors and freshmen because no one knew where the classes were. One of Beetham’s favorite teachers Joanne Moore, retired 2 years ago. Before retirement she taught all kinds of science, now she spends her time traveling the world. The teachers and students before have both done their part to keep the school alive. Now it is up to us to continue the legacy that they left behind.

Gig Harbor High School was established in  1979. It was the second high school to be built in the Peninsula School District . Since the opening of the school they have had approximately 65,600 students walk the hallways. In 1990 they started renovations on the high school. The renovations were a three phase process. Part one was adding an all new gymnasium, science additions, and more classrooms. In part two of the renovation they remodel the preexisting building. Part three they renovated all the classrooms. In the end, the renovations added 120,000 square feet to the high school. The school has not undergone any major renovation since 1990.