Procrastination

When you hear the word procrastination, you probably remember hearing the word from a teacher telling you to not do it, an educational video that you watched in a class, or from your parents explaining to you that you need to stop. But what exactly is procrastination? Well, according to the people from www.elsevier.com: Journal of Contextual Behavioral Science (link here) “Procrastination is defined as the voluntary delay of an intended course of action despite expecting negative consequences because of the delay,” or more simplified, putting off your work to the last minute. A total of 30 students were asked whether or not they procrastinate and 97% said yes, 3% said no. So what does that mean? From the information that we are given, we can infer that most students procrastinate at GHHS, which can be a concern for the High School staff, but also could have no effect. Timothy A. Pychyl, Jonathan M. Lee, Rachelle Thibodeau, and Allan Blunt of Carleton University(Link here) studied their undergraduate students’ procrastination. “Affective correlates of procrastination were examined through experience-sampling. Forty-five undergraduate students carried electronic pagers for five days preceding an academic deadline. Students were paged eight times daily”. After the study, the scientists from Carleton University examined the results and found, “Contrary to previous research, procrastination was not found to be correlated with either positive or negative affect.” So when we hear “procrastination was not found to be correlated with either positive or negative affect” that means procrastination doesn’t have a good or bad side effect. But does that mean you should procrastinate? In the sense that everyone is different and unique in their own way, some might find they procrastinate and it does not harm their academics, while others don’t. Though most people would say that you shouldn’t, I say you do whatever works best for you. Everybody has their own way of learning, and you should too.