Preparing for Halloween

Madi Sams, Staff

The beautiful fall season gets students excited for the frightful holiday, Halloween. To get in the spirit, students prepare in an array of different ways. For example, senior Bridget Fouquette has been apart of her family’s annual Pumpkin Carving Party for the past 15 years. This tradition is always held on the Sunday before Halloween, and the day is spent chipping away at pumpkins and enjoying traditional foods. Once night comes, they light their pumpkins and gaze at their work. Though this tradition has been alive for as long as Bridget can remember, she explains that she still has “room for improvement” in her pumpkin carving skills.

Senior Bridgett Fouquette
Madi Sams
Senior Bridgett Fouquette

She loves to find “new abstract ways to carve” and admires her grandparents’ creative takes, like painting the pumpkin instead of carving. Other than pumpkins, Bridget enjoys the collective fall season by “experiencing the visual change.” The changing colors of the leaves never fails to amaze Bridget, as for many other Fall season lovers.

Though fall has its beauty, it is also a time for Halloween thrill. From haunted houses to corn mazes, there are plenty of ways to get spooked this fall. Senior Rachel White admits that she has “never been to a  [haunted house] before, but [hears] that the one at Maris Farms is pretty scary,” and she heard right. Last year, plenty of students went out to Buckley for this Halloween experience. This year, students will go again for the 35-minute walk through the Harvest of Terror.

Seniors Victoria Van Dusen and Rachel White
Madi Sams

But, if screaming isn’t your style, Halloween night can also be spent passing out candy to cute little trick-or-treaters. Students who live in popular trick-o-treat neighborhoods prepare for Halloween by stocking up on delicious candy and decking out their houses in fake spider webs, cackling motion sensing witches, foam grave stones, dangling ghosts, spooky window silhouettes, and grinning pumpkins. Reminder to have a safe and fun Halloween, Tides.