The Fault in Our Stars Movie & Book Review

Maddie Rogers, Staff

Literature could be a large part in someone’s life or as small as just reading for an English assignment. As a high school student, literature is a large part of our education, and book choices are usually made for us, inside of the curriculum. When given the chance to pick an independent reading book, the choices vary between people. A common trend seen specific to the girl demographic are romantic novels. Recently, there has been a lot of discussion about The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Personally, I have both read the book and seen the movie, but many people have mostly seen the movie.

The story is about a cancer patient named Hazel who is in a support group for teens. She stumbles upon a boy, Augustus Waters, and they develop a relationship. The two go through many struggles with their personal health in the duration of the book, which make them grow stronger as a couple. The story is both heartbreaking and beautiful, which makes for a phenomenal story. John Green released this work of literary art in 2012, but in 2013 it became a hit. The book itself is a trend, with its catchphrase of, “Okay? Okay.” Teens, children, parents, and grandparents everywhere are reading this book, becoming infatuated with it

I would give the movie five stars out of five. I believe the reason the movie deserves the full amount of stars is because it captures the essence of the book almost perfectly. John Green worked closely with the directors and producers to make sure this movie was spot on in comparison with the book.

The hype over Vampires has died down and the trend of dystopian novels has gotten big. Divergent, Maze Runner, The Uglies, and Hunger Games are all examples of this type of novel. The thought of our society becoming something resembling the environment of Hunger Games, for example, is intriguing to many people.

Reading is a staple piece of life as well as school to many people. It can also serve as a short escape from life.

Rating: Five stars out of five