Girls Basketball Tryouts Jump Into Gear

Elyse Miyake, Sports Editor

Junior Caylee Gangstad shoots for two points on the first day of Girls Basketball tryouts.

With the fall sports concluding their seasons with state berths and great success, the Lady Tides Basketball team looked to continue the run.

Losing a couple of players from the previous year, the Tides scouted for new faces for the team. But new players weren’t the only new aspect for the team. It will be Coach Megan Murray’s first year as coach for the Tides.

Murray explains her “team goals for the season include an emphasis on winning. But before winning, I want to make the program stronger.” Being a part of the Gig Harbor community, Murray is well acquainted with the girls and looks forward to “having fun and being a part of an exciting season. I look forward to bringing in a new experience as an experienced coach.”

Players prepared anxiously for the tryouts to begin, some familiar faces from last season hoped to make an impression on the new coach.

I’m looking forward to working hard and getting better, becoming close as a team and having fun together.

— Junior Emily Davis

“I’m looking forward to working hard and getting better, becoming close as a team and having fun together.” Junior Emily Davis said.

Sophomore Emily Shields said she is looking forward to “getting back on the court, getting to play, and redeeming ourselves from last year,” and “generating scoring opportunities.”

The Tides have tryouts for the rest of the week. Their first game is home on Thursday, December 4th, against Federal Way.