Mockingjay Part One Movie Review

Clarissa Laflamme, Staff

The Hunger Games, written by Suzanne Collins, is arguably one of the most successful book series of our generation. The films have been viewed world wide and are extremely entertaining to a wide range of ages. I have always been a huge fan of the trilogy and when Mockingjay Part One was released, I watched it the next weekend. Although I am a die hard fan of the book, I must say the movie wasn’t as thrilling as I pictured.

Yes, I enjoyed the film immensely, but it seemed to move at a slow place. Even though the beginning of the book was setting up for the second half, there was still a sense of hanging on the edge of your seat throughout the book, which I did not experience whilst watching the film. “It was amazing, but it seemed kind of short. It was sad and it ended in a really weird place, but I cannot wait for the second part!” (Senior Isabel Munroe).

I agree completely, the movie didn’t grasp my attention like the other two films. I must say, the cinematography of the film was exceptional and the acting superb, but it was mildly anti-climatic and I do not feel the intense need for the next movie to come out as soon as possible. “I thought it was pretty good, but I didn’t really like the ending.” (Sophomore Tessa Homan). My favorite part of the movie was the scene where Katniss and a group of others go to visit another districts hospital, and that was the most riveting scene in the entire movie. Although I am a die hard fan, I would have to give the movie three out of five stars for all of those reasons.