Career Construction Day

Sanda Gugin, Staff

The annual Pierce County Career Construction Day is an innovative workforce development tool designed to provide high school students with hands-on exposure to diverse and growing careers and to provide employers with a pipeline of professionals for tomorrow. Organized by Work Force Central’s Construction Partnership, thousands of high school students from across the county participate every year.

Senior Max Norstrom says,

“Career Day was so much fun! Seeing and working with a lot of construction machines. I really loved the welding. It was so cool and awesome. Trying it out really made me want to do it more and I was relieved that I would love a career in welding. I also loved the scones they passed out and the barbeque was good. I mostly walked around and talked to the people at their booths. I would recommend it to people who are interested in working in a trade and construction.”

Senior Logan Mclendon concurs. Logan says,

“Career Day was a great experience if you’re interested in anything related to construction. The whole day is filled with multiple activities, like learning how to weld, use different power tools, and operate machinery. There are also a lot of apprenticeship opportunities as well. I would definitely recommend going to anyone interested in this career path. The lunch provided is worth going in and out of itself.”

Career Construction Day was held on November 13th, at the Washington State Fairgrounds. If you are interested in attending next year, contact Mrs. Kristine Nyberg in the Career Counseling class for more information.