An Honored Dream

Kelsey Queen

Leadership students come together with lit candles at the MLK assembly.

Martin Luther King Jr. was an amazing civil rights activist of the twentieth century. It is important to take a day to remember him and recognize all he has done for the United States. Friday, January 16th, GHHS staff and students put aside an hour of their day to come together and acknowledge MLK and his great strides in the civil rights movement that has brought America to where it is today.

At the start of the assembly, which was organized by the leadership class, the national anthem was sung, followed by performances from GHHS’ choir. Throughout the assembly, students read quotes of Dr. King’s off the back of square tiles that created a mural of MLK when assembled. “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter” and “Forgiveness is not an occasional act. It is a permanent attitude” were just two of the many quotes leadership chose to be read in front of the student body.

Seniors Keefe Kamp and Callan Gilbert with Ms. Yeaman beside the MLK mural.

The mural is now in the halls of GHHS, where it is occasionally rearranged to reveal a different quote. To end the assembly, a group of students lined up along the perimeter of the gym and faced outward towards their fellow students. Freshman Grace Dullum began by lighting her candle and reading a line from Dr. Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech. She then lit the next student’s candle who then read another line from the famous speech. After the last person’s candle had been lit, they gathered in the center of the gym and raised their candles together. The assembly was a great way for GHHS students and staff to remember MLK together.