Chinese Club

Sanda Gugin

Chinese Club members.

A common misconception about taking Chinese at Gig Harbor High School is that the course is too difficult. After all, the Chinese language and writing is so inherently different from English. However, students of all different learning levels agree that Chinese is one of the most rewarding and enjoyable classes to take!

Chinese club allows me to explore the Chinese culture without being directly immersed in it.

— Junior Brigid Majmundar

Studying Chinese offers a wide range of opportunities, and many students continue their studies in mainland China. Kaitlyn Unger, junior, says “I love Chinese because it presents so many new opportunities. For example, some of my classmates and I got to visit China this summer. Chinese is really fun and easy to learn with Mrs. Steele as a teacher!” Explaining more about the trip to China, Tova Beck, junior, says, “Chinese is great because it allowed me to explore Chinese culture on a deeper level when I visited Mudanjiang last summer on the exchange trip. It was really cool to be able to communicate with my exchange family who didn’t speak English. Also, Mrs. Steele is a great teacher.”

Chinese Club members during an ordinary meeting.
Sanda Gugin

Being a part of Chinese Club offers unique exposure to the Chinese culture. Brigid Majmundar, junior, says “Chinese club allows me to explore the Chinese culture without being directly immersed in it. Mrs. Steele guides us through the complexities of the language, but she also incorporates many aspects of Chinese culture into activities that we do. Emmalene Madsen, sophomore, also adds “Chinese class is a great way to end the day. I really enjoy learning this language in general, and learning about Chinese culture. I look forward to learning even more about Chinese. Not to mention, it is very fun.”