Five End of Semester Helpers

If you are disorganized, you are not alone. Many students find themselves trapped in the chaos of finals and end of semester projects, but what if we could change that? These crafts will save you time (and in some cases money!) to make your finals are a lot less stressful.

1. Geography Map

Imagine this, you have been putting off studying for the geography test. It is three days before the final and you still don’t know Kentucky from Missouri. You are freaking out… but what if there was some way to study without spending too much time on it? This is for everyone who has trouble with geography. First, take a wall decal or a picture of a map, and put it on a canvas. Then, put wood glue on four pieces of thin wood. Clamp the wood together, on the top and bottom of the map. Hammer two short nails into the back of the wood frame, and tie a string to your desired length. Hang it on your bedroom wall and enjoy! Now, whenever you look up at the map, you will start to memorize where places are located.

2. An Interesting Journal

Using watercolor pens, pencils or gelatos, you can make that old, boring, useless journal into something worth caring around. Take a white cardstock-or thick material-covered notebook. First, use broad scribbles to create overlapping colors. It is recommended that you do colors that go well together and that you will like for a while. Then, use a baby wipe to bend the colors. Apply more color if needed, and bend until a smooth look is achieved. This will help to make you feel more confident and have a better upcoming semester.

3. Study Box

At one point or another, we have all had some unorganized place like messy binders, lockers, rooms, cars, backpacks and basically anything that can get cluttered. With the end of the semester drawing near, there is more and more of a push to study… but what if you can’t find that math notecard? This simple trick can give you peace of mind and help you get a better grade. First, find a place in your house, preferably in you room, to store a medium sized box. Some houses have built in wall features for boxes or drawers, These can work if you modify the steps or build the box out of an existing drawer. If you don’t, then don’t worry. Find a place like on top of a desk, next to a place of furniture or under your bed, to store your study box. First, think of what you want it to look like and get the wood with the right dimensions. Nail the ends of the wood together and add a space for smaller items like pens, pencils and scissors. To make your box look better, you can stain the wood after you have it how you want it. Wait for it to dry before starting to fill it. Place the optional items in mason jars and place them in the provided spots. Put your papers in a folder at the back of the box, in the space provided. Then add your personal touch and enjoy a clutter free life!

4. Bedtime Desk

It is the day before a final, you haven’t had a chance to study yet and it is crunch time. You are supposed to be getting ready for bed, or at least in your room, but you don’t have a desk. What do you do? This simple project can save you hours of worrying and stress. First off, you will need a wood strip (0.75 in x 1.75 in x 6 ft.)- just about anything of the right size will do, hardboard( MDF board, etc), two knobs attached to screws/bolts, two big washers, two socket anchors, two short wood screws (for the lip), four medium wood screws (for the legs), four small nails, and four plastic checker pieces (optional). When finished, it will have two legs that are flat one the bed that goes up to the table top. The legs will have a spot of intersection and that is where you can adjust the angle. This is where the knobs are. The overall amount of time is 30-60 minutes and this can double as a laptop or Ipad stand. Have fun making your desk and enjoy!

5. Cork Pencil Holders

Do you constantly lose pencils and pens? Are you struggling to find the proper supplies for finals? If so, you may need a pencil holder. This simple DIY craft will save time, energy and eventually money! Get a can-normally a soup can-and clean it until it has nothing but the actual can left. Then, spray a couple coats of your desired color and let dry. Place the can on the outer edge of the cork roll and cut the strip to the desired height of the can. Put heavy duty craft glue on one of the ends- that will run along the height of the can-and place the can on the glue. Wrap the cork around the can twice. Cut the end and glue the cork to the can. Place pins or clamps to hold the cork in place as it dries. Once it is dry, you can put flowers, pens, pencils or anything that you want. If you put plants in it, I recommend using a small glass that fits inside, to avoid leaks. Say goodbye to missing pencils and hello to a happier final.