When Magic is More than Magicians and Magic Wands

What is the best way relax after a long day of hard work on assignments and learning? Many of the Tides find themselves captivated by the wonderful and mysterious world of magic. The Magic Club is something you don’t want to miss out on. And the best part about it is that anyone can be a part of Magic Club!

In Magic Club, a student is able to battle against another student, or there could be a battle of four if you want to battle as a team. Now, before you jump to conclusions, the game is about battling opponents with trading cards, not battling with physical violence. The card game is called “Magic: The Gathering,” and the game is mostly about strategy and planning your next move, mainly because your opponent might have a trick under his sleeve and counterattack when he makes a move. The rules of the game are quite simple; you can play one against one, in teams, or free-for-all. The goal of the game is to reduce your opponent’s health from twenty to zero. There are three types of cards: Land, Creature, and Spell. Combining them gives your character a better chance and advantage on defeating your opponent’s creature. Forty to sixty cards are required for each player, depending on the game mode you are playing. Seventeen land cards are needed for a deck of forty cards, and twenty-five land cards are required for a deck of sixty. You may only have 4 copies of the same card. (For more rules on how to play, visit: https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/how-to-play-magic-the-gathering/).

Ms. Kurz is the head and judge of Magic Club. She began playing in 2004 and became leader of the club here at Gig Harbor High School when it was created in 2007. She has been playing for about fourteen years now. Magic Club begins at 2 p.m. every Tuesday in room 211, and lasts until a game round ends. One thing Ms. Kurz loves most about her club is how dedicated the players are to the game. She acknowledges the benefits that students can get from playing the game: math skills, reading skills, strategy, sportsmanship and friendship. Magic Club is more than just a game, it comes along with several life lessons.