“It’s Your Generation’s Fault”: Tides’ Peaceful Protest Against Gun Violence Meets Opposition

Students at Gig Harbor High School raise their homemade signs outside of the school for 17 minutes to protest against gun violence in schools. Photo by Kai Cole.

Ciara Greene, Head Editor

On March 14, hundreds of students from Gig Harbor High School met outside in the front of the school and stood in silence to peacefully protest America’s tolerance for gun ownership and gun violence in schools. The protest lasted 17 minutes, out of respect for the 17 people that were killed in the South Florida High School shooting exactly one month ago, February 14.

On Valentine’s Day–and Ash Wednesday for Christians, a 19 year old student from South Florida High School who had been previously expelled, opened fire on campus shortly before class was out. The horrific incident left several families devastated. Ryan Kade, a 17-year-old senior present at the scene stated after the tragedy that he was surprised that it happened at his own school but the idea wasn’t very far fetched. “School shootings happen all the time, and then the news just forgets about them.”

Gig Harbor’s protest was not just an act of respect, it was their version of taking action. Each student believes that gun violence has been an issue for far too long and can no longer be overlooked. There are too many innocent lives being lost, and all because our nation refuses to regulate the firearm industry.

The argument is controversial and meets opposition around every corner. In fact, Gig Harbor experienced its own version of this. Shortly after the protest began, an ardent weapon owner was determined to declare his opinion to the silently protesting students.

“It’s your generation’s fault.” He further shouted that the students are responsible for the violence that was happening and they were the ones that needed to change, therefore, his weapons were not the ones that needed to be taken away. What he probably did not realize was that Gig Harbor was simply protesting gun violence, not necessarily with a purpose of removing citizen’s rights to bear arms. He was upsetting some of the students so he was asked to leave the scene and resisted with the argument that he “[owned the] property because he pays taxes.” When he was threatened with an “Obstruction of Justice” (a felony) by the police who were there  to protect the students from instances like these, he finally drove away in his mini cooper.

The students proved their maturity by not responding to the unknown man’s discourse. And by continuing their peaceful protest, they prove his claims to be false. Gig Harbor is taking a stand in hopes of finally bringing about change, and the silence of many speaks many more words than the meaningless angry jibber-jabber of an angry weapon owner.

Their thoughts and prayers go out to all of the families of victims of all school shootings. May the world’s eyes finally be opened.