What People Don’t Know About Fishbowl

Paula Glenn, Custodian.

Rachel Howard

Paula Glenn, Custodian.

Gig Harbor High School faces Peninsula High School in what we know as the annual Fishbowl. Fishbowl is a great place to go on a Friday night to hang out with friends, watch a great game, and just have an amazing time. However, what are some things that students might not know about Fishbowl? I had the chance to talk with a custodian at Gig Harbor High named Paula, and dig deep into some pretty interesting topics.

Q: What happens during Fishbowl that students and parents might not know about?

A: “Usually every year there is some type of graffiti. Last year it was just the doorways and part of the windows, but this year it was from the front doors, past the science wing, and down to the lower school parking lot. The thing that Peninsula doesn’t understand is that no one ever sees it. They vandalize the school on Friday night and I have it all cleaned up by the time the kids come back to school.”

Q: What are some things that happened this year?

A: “Peninsula not only vandalized the school with spray paint, but the day after that was completely cleaned up, they came back and egged the school. This year it took all weekend to get the school cleaned up. We had to bring in pressure washers to get all the eggs off. This year we also had just painted the school, which was a big deal. The district hasn’t had the money to re-paint the school and PHS came in and vandalized the newly painted areas. I’m guessing it was right after the game, and all they’re doing is being disrespectful.”

This year I was very happy because I really needed the Tides to kick the Seahawks butt.

— Paula Glenn, Custodian

Q: Do you like Fishbowl week overall? Why or why not?

A: “I enjoy Fishbowl week for the kids, but I don’t like cleaning the mess. This year I was very happy because I really needed the Tides to kick the Seahawks butt.”

Students at GHHS don’t realize what the custodians do for us during Fishbowl week. All of the custodians, not just Paula, work extremely hard to keep the school looking clean and fresh for all students.