Gig Harbor High School’s First Club Fair

Ricci Seguban, Head Editor

Club members waited anxiously at their booths, eager to find new members, as the first few freshmen entered the auxiliary gym. It was the first Tides Day, the day for freshmen and sophomores to tour the school, get their pictures taken, and pay their fees. Tables were set up and were decorated with posters, ribbons, and balloons. Bowls of candy, cans of soda, and ice cream persuaded GHHS students to join the many clubs the school offers. At Gig Harbor High School’s first club fair, twenty clubs came to represent. The office manager, Bunky Janovich, said the idea of a club fair had been floating around for a few years, but no one had actually done it. She thought it was “a great opportunity for kids (especially new kids) to get involved in something if they weren’t interested in sports.”

I don’t want to see any kids eating by themselves or not connecting when they arrive here at GHHS. Everyone should be involved and have lots of friends and people they can count on.

— Bunky Janovich, Office Manager

Bunky explained that the club fair wouldn’t have happened this year if it weren’t for the club members, a few key teachers, and club advisors that stepped up and helped it run smoothly. She was really proud and excited to see what all of us can do as a staff and student body to make GHHS a very welcoming and friendly place to be. “We spend a lot of time here, maybe more than we do interacting with our own families, and so we need to be a community,” Bunky states.

Interested in joining a club? Click on this link to see a list of the school’s clubs: http://ghhs.psd401.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=174&Itemid=283