• The Sound website is undergoing a remodel
  • Spring break is April 15-19

Making A Splash: Looking Back at the Boys Water Polo Season

Gig Harbor High School wasted no time by jumping straight into practices led by their experienced coach, Alanca Ponce, a former Tides player, with assistant coach Mike Marr. With the start of the season there were some new players just trying to learn the game and enjoy it while they play. Emmett Scott (12) said, “I’m new to the sport, I enjoyed practicing, getting to know new strategies, and playing with my friends.” The matchups this year were tough and Gig Harbor played with determination in each game no matter the outcome of the game.  which is what  After the Curtis game, Jackson Davis (12) said, “We looked forward to the Curtis game because it was a good team to see how we can improve as a team.” This team has such amazing chemistry and teamwork.  They are so happy with their team and how they play that some people like Grant Huston (12) feel like the team is their second family.  This is great because it shows how good the coaches are and how much the team appreciates each other which correlates to how well they play. They show this by playing their hearts out at each game and no matter the outcome they are happy they are part of the team and able to enjoy the game. Even though some of the players were just starting the sport this year, they were able to greatly improve. This is well shown by Connor Tibbets (12), who said “I chose to play water polo this year because I did swim before and I have friends on the team, and I thought learning a new sport would be fun senior year would be fun.” This team is so happy with the outcome of the year because some were able to improve their abilities in water polo, some were able to learn it for the first time, and everyone was able to be surrounded by the amazing community that each person brought to the pool.

About the Contributor
Chance Wightman
Chance Wightman, Writer
A junior reporter, Chance Wightman is in his 1st year of writing for the Sound.  His goals for this year are to improve his interviewing, writing, and publishing skills.  In his free time, he likes to hang out with friends, play video games, and mountain biking.