• The Sound website is undergoing a remodel
  • Spring break is April 15-19

Best Songs For Your Holiday Season

Thanksgiving has finally passed and it’s in consensus to start the end-of-year holiday season, and what better way to start it than with some classic songs to celebrate that season? The songs covered here are traditionally Christmas songs but in honor of Hanukkah and Kwanzaa, we got a song credited for each. For Hanukkah, we have “The Chanukah Song” by Adam Sandler, which is beautifully written and gives an informative and entertaining representation of Hanukkah and points out how many celebrities are Jewish. For Kwanzaa, we have “This Kwanzaa” by FYUTCH and Pierce Freelon, which is a very informative rap song about Kwanzaa, its history, how it’s celebrated, and how important it is for people of African culture. Now for the Christmas celebrators, we have six songs across six genres for your holiday playlist. Happy Holidays!

Rock: Carol Of The Bells by Manheim Steamroller

What do you get when you cross 80’s synth rock with Midwestern Christmas vibes? You get Manheim Steamroller, a band that rocks so festively that steam comes out of your brain. The song ““Carol Of The Bells”” by the band in question was released back in the 80s, and you can tell, with the bassy synth and arpeggiated piano intertwined with the drums to give a rock influence twist on such a classic song. Manheim Steamroller is one of those bands that almost everyone has to love with how diverse their discography is, they have a little something for everyone.

Rap: Silent Night by DMX

I wasn’t quite able to determine whether or not this was AI or a previously unreleased song, as DMX passed last year and this could have been in his archives. He manages to maintain the classic Christmas sound while infusing it with his trademark DMX feel. He makes a jingle that merges rap storytelling with a very winter vibe to make an instant classic. The beats are infused with jingle bells and upbeat synths, so this is a great song for road trips to relative’s houses during the season.

Pop: All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey

Oh no. The ice has unthawed, and she has given the iconic whistle note phrase “It’s time!” as the iconic drum fill leads into the song that is now synonymous with Christmas, “All I Want For Christmas Is You”. Mariah Carey released the song on her fourth album in 1994, and for almost 30 years now, it has been the national anthem for Christmas. This song is perfect for any Christmas setting you can think of, and it will stay on repeat for me until the New Year.

Metal: You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch by Brojob

A band known for making parody songs, many of which aren’t exactly appropriate for general audiences, the band Brojob releases their second Christmas-themed EP of covers, which features a new version of “You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch”. If you want brutal vocals infused with tight guitar in a festive retelling of this Grinchy classic, then you’re in luck, as this track will slam you with Christmas spirit and make sure you don’t follow in the Grinch’s footsteps. I highly recommend this song to any metal fans, and I’ll most likely have this on year-round.

Pop Punk: I Won’t Be Home For Christmas by Blink 182

A refreshingly dark song with an upbeat tone, this song by Blink-182 was previously unreleased and was instead released as a single in 1997. The song talks about a man fed up with Christmas who ends up spending Christmas in jail for snapping on Christmas Eve and threatening annoying children. The song’s lyrics are darkly comedic but have a very happy holiday tone with the classic surfer rock guitar accented by jingle bells, tambourines, and almost orchestral bells. Travis Barker’s drumming ability shines through on this track with his hi-hat rolls sounding particularly festive. This song is one I’d ideally play while driving or dancing, as it gives such high-energy vibes to the season. 

EDM: Jingle Bells (Happy Bells Remix) by DJ Klaus Noel

When “Jingle Bells” ingests a mystery substance at Burning Man, this is the only perceivable outcome. The EDM bass slams your ears while the synth and producer tags give off a strangely festive vibe, resulting in a perfectly layering holiday rave track. The song makes you want to dance, and that’s one of the most important qualities of any song, in particular this genre of music. If you need any type of cheery reinterpretations of classics, this is my main pick, it perfectly captures the feeling of Christmas with its upbeat pacing and nostalgic feel.

About the Contributor
Wyatt Suiter
Wyatt Suiter, Writer
A sophomore writer, 2023 is Wyatt Suiter’s first year as a writer. He’s always loved writing and is now looking forward to writing about music and other things from across the school year. In addition to writing, he also loves playing guitar, drawing, photography, graphic design, and poetry.