• The Sound website is undergoing a remodel
  • Spring break is April 15-19

Student Spotlight: Jack De Simas

Jack De Simas (11) is a Junior at Gig Harbor High School. He is an accomplished athlete, scholar, gamer, and is a prevalent member of our school. Jack’s athletic achievements revolve around his sports: Basketball, Frisbee golf, and Pickleball. Jack has been a part of the Tides Basketball program since elementary school and plays on the high school JV team right now. Jack has been on a tear this year for the undefeated Tides JV. He has been an integral part of this great season and was described by varsity guard Cole Browne (11) as being a “athletic freak who is a great team player, has good fundamentals, and is oozing with potential.” Outside of basketball Jack is a great frisbee golf player routinely beating his dad, Carl De Simas. “My best shot is probably my drive,” said Jack. 

In addition to his stellar athletic achievements, Jack is also a great student. He has been on the National Honor Society throughout high school and has never finished below a 3.8 GPA for a semester. Jack said “the motivation from my parents as well as my college aspirations” are what drives him to succeed in school. His Varsity letter in volunteering also adds to his competitive college resume. Jack’s outstanding leadership qualities have not only been developed through his basketball career, his years as a counselor in training have also supplied him with the skills needed to work with others and continue through hardships. These skills helped him with his cross-continental mission trip to Africa. On this trip Jack helped with child care, worked to restore a feeding center, and worked to spread positivity throughout.

While he is quite the busy guy he still finds time to pursue his gaming hobby. His favorite games include Fortnite, NBA 2K, and Madden. He says his favorite moment while playing video games was his iconic hunting rifle play in fifth grade, he said this moment felt like “pure euphoria, and accomplishment.” He also said that he has been chasing this feeling ever since. 

Overall Jack De Simas is a symbol of perseverance, honor, and kindness to all around him. His high level of achievement in Basketball, School, and gaming have motivated not only classmates but the entire school. 

About the Contributor
Jonah Eilers
Jonah Eilers, Writer
A junior at GHHS, Jonah Eilers is excited to write for the Gig Harbor High School newspaper. He is hoping to write about various things including sports, movies, and anything happening in the community. He enjoys many hobbies like skateboarding, skiing, and playing  tennis.