• The Sound website is undergoing a remodel
  • Spring break is April 15-19

Student Spotlight: Thomas Tools

Many people have interacted with the eccentric personality of Thomas Tools (10), but only a few people know too much about him. I’ve had the pleasure of knowing Thomas for an extended period, but recently I had the opportunity to interview him, something I think we were both fairly excited about. Several people can see him as annoying, but I see him more as a profound sense of wisdom. His knowledge of socioeconomic issues and complications with foreign policies, as well as obscure trivia is astounding. He’s a bright guy who has a great sense of humor, and a thrill to be around. 

Thomas is a sophomore, and yet he already knows the direction he wants to take his life, hoping to become a pilot and work for Delta Airlines, the reason for which he says “the pay.” He plans to go to university and take flight lessons at the same time, and I found out that he’s currently already taking flying lessons.

Thomas has received a lot of judgment for simply being himself, and he had this to say about the people who judge him. “It’s not my problem, just like how if I’m walking to Fred Meyer, and someone on the sidewalk might be wearing a bright green neon jacket or something I find strange, that’s really not my place to go up to them and tell them what they can or can’t do with their life.”

Thomas has a lot of cultural influence on his life from several places, including, strangely enough, Asia, as a lot of his lineage is Mongolian. Thomas also speaks fluent Russian, can carry conversations in the language, and is deeply immersed in the cultural traditions of Slavic countries.

His views on politics are very nuanced and educated, with many different perspectives and news sources influencing his perspective. Now, I have no right to assume anything about his political stances, but it is very clear that he is well-spoken and well-taught about many in-depth socioeconomic and geopolitical issues. When asked about what he would like to change in politics, his answer was put together and well thought out and summarized. It consisted of closing the wage gap to fit public perception and also fighting corruption inside the political system of the United States, including dismantling or reconfiguring the current system to benefit the people. 

Thomas Tools may be full of energy, but he is full of emotion and complex thought. If he were to harness the unique way he thinks for scientific discoveries, I do not doubt that he would discover some incredibly interesting stuff, but as he is, Thomas is set to accomplish whatever he wants to do in his life, which seems to be his main goal in life anyway.

About the Contributor
Wyatt Suiter
Wyatt Suiter, Writer
A sophomore writer, 2023 is Wyatt Suiter’s first year as a writer. He’s always loved writing and is now looking forward to writing about music and other things from across the school year. In addition to writing, he also loves playing guitar, drawing, photography, graphic design, and poetry.