• The Sound website is undergoing a remodel
  • Spring break is April 15-19

GHHS Celebrates Martin Luther King Day

On Wednesday January 10, 2024 Gig Harbor High School celebrated Martin Luther King Jr. day by assembling in the gym. The assembly was put on by the Black Student Union and the Gig Harbor leadership. The assembly started with a music video from the Martin Luther King movie, Selma. The music video depicted many civil rights leaders and speeches primarily showing Dr. King’s march and speech at Selma in 1965. Following the music video three students from the Black Student Union met in the middle of the gym to speak about equality, freedom, and the ideals preached by Martin Luther King. One speaker, James McCourt (11) said, “it felt great to talk in front of the school about a matter that means a lot to me that spreads positivity.” Along with James, members of the Black Student Union, Leila Jeneby (11), and Olivia Izurieta (11) spoke about the ideals put forward by Mr. King and why it is important to continue to celebrate Martin Luther King and what he stood for. “The assembly was a good reminder that we need to continue to work everyday to achieve equality and freedom for all,” said Luke Jolibois (11). James, Olivia, and Leila then exited allowing three more BSU students, Ziggy Tanko (11), Lucas Hendricksen (11), and Katie Hood (12) to talk about the long lasting effects and legacy of Martin Luther King. Ziggy specifically explained how Martin Luther King’s famous “Letters from Birmingham Jail” still have a profound relevance today. In this letter Dr. King tackles the idea that doing nothing about something unjust is just as bad as promoting it. Ziggy explained how this idea had a profound effect on the white moderate community during the civil rights movement and how it is still an important idea today. To conclude the assembly various students of the Black Student Union and Leadership class articulated their favorite quotes from Martin Luther King and explained how they apply today.

About the Contributor
Jonah Eilers
Jonah Eilers, Writer
A junior at GHHS, Jonah Eilers is excited to write for the Gig Harbor High School newspaper. He is hoping to write about various things including sports, movies, and anything happening in the community. He enjoys many hobbies like skateboarding, skiing, and playing  tennis.