• The Sound website is undergoing a remodel
  • Spring break is April 15-19

The Future of 2024: Three Predictions

1: The Fall of Western Democracy

It’s no secret that the condition of the United States is slowly degrading into chaos, and at times, not slowly at all. We’ve experienced two critical elections within a decade, with a third one set to permanently shape the way our government works forever. Several people are looking to flee the country, with some going so far as to build bunkers and stock up on supplies. Who wouldn’t be scared of an election going downhill, what with January 6th still fresh in everyone’s mind and half the population believing a former president is the current president, with extremists on both sides having their numbers grow, violence increasing, international tensions increasing, lack of stable healthcare, reckless spending of funds, and rampant chaos spreading across our country like a storm? Both sides of the American political spectrum are squaring up for an all-out war, which leads me to believe that with that, our government system will be entirely changed. Either the incumbent Democrat wins and the extremists freak out and try to change our entire system of democracy, or a Republican will win and instate Plan 2025, effectively turning the United States into an authoritarian dictatorship. Either way, I give this current system of government a year before it devolves into pure chaos.

2: Widespread Economic Crises

The world has consistently not gotten any better since the giant hit that COVID made still having country’s economies as well as privatized businesses reeling, and my prediction is that it is only going to get worse. The United States, the UK, France, and Israel are feeling the effects of not having consistent income from the Suez Canal and have had to resort to trading between countries instead of importing to their normal capacity. Coupling this with South Africa and Yemen’s blockade of Western supplies, the United States can’t properly fund Israel with supplies to continue on with the Palestinian genocide, something that I assume will take quite a bit of media attention in 2024. This will stress tensions to major ports, as well as hinder the United States’ economic policies, further affecting domestic inflation and pricing. All of this can happen without addressing the issues running rampant under the Torie party in England, which could affect the EU with trade complications and further separation from mainland politics. Throughout the South Americas, chaos is running rampant, with the first anarcho-capitalist president of Argentina establishing what many are considering the first fourth-world country, as well as escalations in Venezuela between the government and extremist communist rebellions, reducing the US’s access to regional oil and trade. The US’s usage of spreading military resources thin amongst three wars as of the time of writing will help destabilize domestic military operations, not regarding deployment on domestic land but instead ground troops and weaponry for personal usage, which is a good segway into my next prediction.

3: World War Three

It’s an incredibly heavy topic, but it’s a very important one as we have never been closer to a third World War than we are at the time of writing. North Korea has mobilized its nuclear weapons, China has made clear promises to retake Taiwan in 2024, Russia is destabilized and could potentially be the catalyst that starts a war, and the United States has spread its resources thin across several wars. If any other global superpower decides to randomly attack another, it will set off a conflict that will inevitably escalate to World War Three. My working theory is that when China tries to take back Taiwan, the United States will go to war with China and anger the entire BRIC alliance, causing Russia, Iran, and India to attack the US as retaliation. The BRIC alliance holds 30% of the world’s surface and 45% of its population, meaning that war with these countries would be an incredibly difficult fight. BRIC is the direct opposition of NATO, meaning that it would be Europe and the US against the rest of the world. Honestly, it’s anyone’s guess as to who would win that war but I’m almost certain that it’s a war that will start either this year or the fallout of this year’s events will start in early 2025.

About the Contributor
Wyatt Suiter
Wyatt Suiter, Writer
A sophomore writer, 2023 is Wyatt Suiter’s first year as a writer. He’s always loved writing and is now looking forward to writing about music and other things from across the school year. In addition to writing, he also loves playing guitar, drawing, photography, graphic design, and poetry.