Our Very Own Disney Princess

Our Very Own Disney Princess

“It could happen to anybody, but why would it happen to me?” This is what Eleanor Trott (11) asked herself when she applied for the Disney Dreamers Academy, turning it in five hours before registration closed, “because I wanted to revise it and make it perfect. Definitely not because I was procrastinating,” she explained with a laugh. Despite her doubts that she could be one of the 100 accepted to the program out of 9,000 applicants, she received an envelope in the mail after returning from a trip and found out that she had been accepted. “I was jumping up and down, I was so excited,” Trott recalled. And thus began an experience that she would never forget.

The Disney Dreamers Academy provides students and their chaperones with a cost free trip to Disneyland in Florida and an experience centered around supporting their dreams. “[It’s] pretty much like a career fair, like a leadership event. The main idea, the whole purpose of the event is ‘how to be a dreamer; how to see more of the world. How to not take the world for what it is, but what it could be.’” She was amazed by the convenience of everything provided cost free by the program, from flights to food to souvenirs.

Each Disney Dreamer brings one chaperone, whose costs are also covered. Her decision was incredibly easy, Trott said. “My chaperone was my mom because she was the one who encouraged me to apply and because she’s like the biggest Disney fan ever,” she explained, “My mom has been one of my biggest supporters, since, like, forever, and so I’m so thankful that she pushed me to actually apply this year. It was really special being able to do it with her and being able to hang out in the parks with her and have fun together. It was really, really, special.” From flying in and spending time together before the event started to staying all night until the park closed, she had an incredible experience with her mother.

Starting early in the morning, they went to many different classes, explored the parks, and were even able to participate in a parade down Main Street. Trott stood on a float with four other students, an opportunity that she said she never realized she wanted until she was doing it. “You don’t think of that as a bucket list item, because it feels so out there, but then it’s happening and you’re like ‘Okay, yeah, I’m in a parade at Disney World.’ It felt very surreal. I actually got to be on one of the parade floats. Being up there with four other students was really, really, really cool. It was one of my favorite parts of the whole experience,” Trott expressed with giddy excitement.

Trott also had the opportunity to participate in an enhanced Disney experience with free lightning lane passes, priority on rides with long lines, and part of the park being closed down specifically for the Academy. She loved the roller coasters and had a blast on all of the rides. “I think my favorite ride of the whole trip overall was the Guardians of the Galaxy Ride because you felt like you were in space, as much as you could feel in space. I’m also a sucker for Big Thunder Mountain because it’s iconic and it’s one of my favorites. I love Disney at night. The vibes are immaculate.”

In addition to the parade, she was able to attend various classes where speakers representing multiple professions taught them. One of these experiences included a specialized tour of Epcot’s Seas with Nemo and Friends – the second largest aquarium in the United States – with ocean and environmental activist, founder of the nonprofit organization The Big Blue and You (https://bigblueandyou.org), and marine biologist Danni Washington. “She was very nice. She was a lot of fun. The thing that I thought was the most fun about her was that she was dressed nicely, but everything was patterned with whale sharks. I thought it was really fun. It gave Ms. Frizzle vibes.” Through their tour, they were able to learn many interesting facts about the aquarium, marine biology, and potential careers that the aquatic enthusiasts might be interested in. “I had so much fun talking with her and asking what I can do to continue to pursue marine biology, because she pretty much has my dream job,” Trott explained. Danni Washington works in scientific communications, a field that involves studying marine biology and telling the world about it via social media and other platforms. Trott excitedly shared that combining her love of acting and science would be incredible as a professional career. “That would be the absolute dream – to have my own show, like a documentary, and to be able to talk about the ocean. To be able to act, but also be able to teach and keep learning about a subject that I’m really passionate about.”

When the experience ended, she did not expect the flood of emotions that she experienced at the final brunch. She summarized the finale as very powerful. “So you’ve lived this life about supporting your dream for the last four days, and now you’re about to go back to the real world, your real life, where you’re going to have to fight for your dream and keep working towards it. How are you going to make your world look like the vision you have for it?” Trott remembered, then continued to share her inspiration for taking her newfound knowledge and confidence forward: “The difference in your life is you. Even when your world doesn’t change, you can change, and change your world. If you only see what is, you’ll never embrace the power to make it what it should be.”

Among the many things that she learned along the way, Trott picked up the habit of repeating self-affirmations out loud to herself every morning. She found that, at the beginning, among youth who had done incredible things, like starting nonprofit organizations, she was feeling a bit out of place. “I was definitely feeling the imposter syndrome. I was like ‘I don’t feel like I should be here with all these students who have accomplished way more than I have.” However, when they encouraged the students to remind themselves that they belonged there, and that they were all amazing and worth the experience, she started realizing how true it was. “That is one thing that I still do every day. I wake up and say those daily affirmations, and that is something that has really helped me because I struggle with imposter syndrome a ton. It has definitely helped me feel more connected. It was a really cool part of the experience, and it’s something that I encourage other people to try, even if you don’t believe it at first. I didn’t believe it at first, but the more you say good things about yourself out loud, it helps change your mindset.”

Trott encourages everyone to apply when the applications open. It is open to 13-19 year olds, so even graduating seniors can take the chance! “It was a once and a lifetime incredible opportunity and I am beyond grateful to be able to experience it. I don’t think I would trade that experience for the world. The magic of Disney and being in the parks is just a feeling I don’t think can be replicated elsewhere. It’s a feeling unlike any other. I love the Disney magic. It was the coolest experience of my life thus far.”