The Maritime Parade

Gig Harbor High School Band members march in the Maritime Parade
Maya Holmes
A dragon is displayed as a part of the Maritime Parade

Every year, Gig Harbor gathers in the harbor for a parade featuring local schools and businesses while children reach for candy and loud music blares from talented musicians. Live music comes from Skansie Brothers Park, and diverse vendors line up along the street.

A dragon is displayed as a part of the Maritime Parade (Maya Holmes)
Children reach for candy from the side of the road

With mild temperatures all day and slight showers after the parade had come to a close, it was a decent day for a parade. Runners ran the course before it started, jogging by families and friends who were beginning to set up and secure spots while marchers dragged their luggage to the start. People such as firefighters, teachers, and little girls in tie-dye shirts gave a preview of this year’s event.

Children reach for candy from the side of the road (Maya Holmes)
JROTC members march

The parade opened with a military demonstration, holding the flags high against Washington’s trademark overcast sky. They marched with stoic faces in perfect synchronism, bringing a somber mood of patriotism. They were followed by the mayor, who waved from his car. Our first responders then rolled by: several officers representing the Gig Harbor police department and the fire department atop their large red engine.

JROTC members march (Maya Holmes)
Gig Harbor High School Band marches in the parade

Gig Harbor’s very own marching band came up behind them. Ryleigh Stapleton-Long (9) said, “It was a pretty good experience. It’s good to be with all the band kids instead of just separated into the different classes, and we have a really nice noise when we’re all together. Memorizing the music is kind of annoying, but otherwise, the parade experience is pretty fun. It’s fun to be together. We practiced it every once and awhile in class, but it’s mostly [practicing] at home to memorize the piece.” Following closely behind was our cheerleading team, sporting bright pink pom-poms in support of breast cancer awareness and their blue and white uniforms. Peighton Macary (9), one of our newest cheerleaders, reported that walking in the parade “was very tiring. It was fun, and I liked seeing all the people.” Our football team also walked down the row.

Gig Harbor High School Band marches in the parade (Maya Holmes)
Cheerleaders wave pink pom-poms

Many different floats were featured throughout the event, ranging from elegant antique cars to speed boats equipped with a trailer for the land to a large, ornate paper mache plane, as well as a local band playing live music. Gig Harbor’s adorable elementary schoolers ran by with bubbles to represent their organizations, and middle school bands from around the harbor played catchy tunes. Abby Oake (10), who marched in representation of Stitch-A-Roo, a local business that provides sewing lessons for youth, enjoyed the experience of marching in the parade. She said, “It was fun. This is the fourth or fifth year I’ve done it, maybe even the sixth. I like marching in the parade because I get to show off what I made that year. This year and the past two years, I’ve made a dress. Everyone should join Stitch-A-Roo and learn how to sew. It’s quite cool.”

Cheerleaders wave pink pom-poms (Maya Holmes)
The crowded harbor

The day was wonderful for all who came to witness it; however, a tragedy occurred near the end of the event. A participating van sped up suddenly, causing some to fall off the trailer up ahead, and several individuals were hit in between the two vehicles. Five people were injured, and four were taken out on stretchers and transported to the hospital. Witnesses to the accident described the scene as scary and confusing.

The crowded harbor (Maya Holmes)
Crew Barrett (9) and Jayden Chappell (8) at the parade

Despite this horrible occurrence, the parade was a fantastic experience for many. Much of our city congregates on this day annually to support local organizations, to walk around our charming downtown area, and to have an incredible time. It brings our community together as volunteers, participants, and watchers work together to make it happen. June 1st is a truly magical day for our small seaside town.

Crew Barrett (9) and Jayden Chappell (8) at the parade (Maya Holmes)