Peninsula School District Mock Crash

Peninsula School District Mock Crash

In a world of so many distractions at our fingertips, distracted driving, whether it be texting and driving, loud music, friends in the car, or driving under the influence, causes about 3,000 fatalities in auto accidents every year. On May 24th, leadership students from the district’s three high schools came together with the help of Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One, Gig Harbor Police Department, and Key Peninsula Fire to educate seniors on the effects and repercussions of distracted driving. “I participated in the mock crash because it was for a good cause, and I love acting,” said Lola Hawkins (12).

This experience gave seniors the chance to gain a new perspective on how they drive and the impact of their choices on themselves and others. When asked what was most impactful about the mock crash, 35% of seniors said that the overall message portrayed stuck with them. “The part of the message about how being distracted for one second can cause such lifelong trauma for so many people had a big impact on me,” explained Hailey Gray (12).

First responders are essential workers who play a critical role in everyday emergency situations. Here in Gig Harbor, when you call 911, first responders like Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One, Gig Harbor Police Department, and Key Peninsula Fire respond to help you. Our local first responders’ participation in the mock crash helps solidify trust within the community. Out of the 400 Gig Harbor High School seniors, 40% expressed how the first responder’s involvement in the crash impacted their experience. Ellie Caldier (12), who participated in the event, took a vow of silence to represent the thousands of teens who die in auto accidents each year. Caldier emphasizes, “The number of first responders that respond to incidents like the mock crash, having to see that every day and always talk about how to prevent it, it’s sad that teens don’t listen.”

The mock crash not only educated students on the dangers of distracted driving but also highlighted the emotional and psychological toll crashes like these take on the families and friends of victims. The efforts of the leadership students and the involvement of local first responders have made a lasting impact on the district’s high school seniors. This experience is a powerful reminder that the choices made behind the wheel can have life-changing and sometimes life-ending outcomes.