• Graduation Rehearsal, June 16th

• Graduation, June 18th

• Senior Checkout Forms Due, June 18th

Why Take AP Courses?

Ripley

Ripley

It’s spring time here at Gig Harbor High School, which means that all students are required to sign up for classes that they will be taking next year. For lower classmen, the options for taking higher courses are limited. However, if you are a junior or senior, I recommend that you take AP courses, and here are a few reasons why.

Get the college credit. Going into your first year of college already having a credit finished is significant when planning for what you want to focus on in your career path. This may also show colleges that you are a very driven student. Colleges will see on your transcript that you are willing to take early steps toward your education.

Gain the early experience. High school attempts to prepare you for college. What better way to gain experience on what college is like than by taking a college level course? If you know that you are college material, then taking AP courses is definitely for you. I recommend taking AP courses that interest you, as there is a variety of courses. Don’t take something that you know you aren’t interested in because who wants to take a rigorous course on something they could care less about?

Take on the challenge. It is a lot. That’s why it’s an AP course, a college prep class. Take your future by storm and sharpen your skills for college. College is going to be a stressful war, and if you do not have the correct materials to fight through the exams and homework, then you will not survive the college war. But if you start early, then you will begin to think like a college student, and will gain the materials necessary to prepare for your future.

Find out what you want to do. As your academic career continues to grow, it becomes narrower. In high school, you have more choices that relate to your interests. In college, it becomes even narrower. Your career is in your hands. By taking AP courses, and getting a feel of how college classes function, you can find out what you want to pursue when you are older. Take hold of your future early and find what you are passionate about.

Create a strong work ethic. Yes, there is a lot of work in AP courses. Yes you have to do it to get a decent grade. No it is not easy. But, if you routinely teach yourself to study every day and work hard with a dedicated devotion, then you will carry a valuable skill onto the rest of your classes and college as well.

These are just a few reasons of why you should take AP classes. I think it’s a great opportunity that everyone who is devoted to their academic career should use. And it surely helps if you seek college after high school. That is my advice. Do with it what you must, and I will be off studying for my classes.