• TOLO Dance, March 11th

• Spring Break, April 17th - 21st

• Non-Student Day, March 17th

Getting Back into School Gear

Have you recently shown signs of constant complaining, self-inflicted anxiety, mindless stressing, and low self-esteem? If you have suffered these symptoms, or fellow students have, then you’re probably suffering from a disease that all high schoolers have. I’d call it schoolitis, but that sounds rather cliche. Well have I got a panacea for you!
I actually don’t have a panacea, unless you call this cure-all advice. As someone who has shown symptoms of this stressing disorder in barely four weeks of school, I can assure you that what you are going through is mere adjustment. Let me give you some antibiotic advice on how to get through this first month of school.

Go ahead and make some mistakes. It sounds terrible to be honest, but it is true. Let your English teacher destroy your five paragraphs of theme (and self-confidence). Let your math teacher dish out the pop quiz, and let him or her smile expectantly at your impromptu 7/15. Let your chemistry teacher lecture you for making excuses of why you “forgot” to do last night’s homework. It happens. You make mistakes, and you learn from them. Hey, it’s better to make these simple errors in the beginning than along the road. Going through your high school year is like taking care of your sweet Mercedes-Benz: you can scratch the sides of it and hit a tree or two when you first start out driving, and doing so seems like the end of the world in the heat of the moment, but in the long-run, you’re gonna learn to go the speed limit and pay attention in the school parking lot next time.

Pay attention in class and listen when people talk. A simple sentence of advice that people simply cannot wrap their head around, probably too engrossed in their Snapchat life than their school life. Listen, you go to school for a reason. You don’t go to school to hang with your buddies, or to take snapchats of your default blue steel face, you go to learn believe it or not. If you care about your future and your well-being, then I suggest you listen to the teacher and your peers. Respect is something teachers shouldn’t have to teach or enforce, it should be a given.

Create a routine for yourself. If you want success in a class, you have to turn in ‘A’ quality work. If you want to turn in ‘A’ quality work, then you have to practice producing ‘A’ quality work. Do your homework as soon as possible. Study in increments of 15 minutes, do not do it all at once. Be careful not to memorize concepts but to understand them. Understand processes, how things look, why they look that way, etc.
These are just a few words of advice that I can give, hopefully people will take this key, turn their car on, and drive on the road to success.