Choir and Band Brings Music to Europe

Several WAM students swimming in Lake Geneva, Switzerland.

Lake Geneva shimmered in the hot sun, swans swimming in its crystal clear blue waters. Students, still in their clothes, jumped into the beautiful lake excitedly. This location in Switzerland, remembered by senior Sarah Harper because of its gorgeous view of the Alps, was one of several places these students traveled to during their fifteen day summer trip. These students were a part of Washington Ambassadors of Music (WAM). Many Gig Harbor High School band and choir students, along with about 300 other students from across the state, shared American music with Europe. WAM made up two concert bands, a jazz band, and a choir that performed six concerts in six different countries. Their concerts were free and held in public locations like parks or in a cathedral.

Band Trip 2

The music performed was American music such as jazz, marches, and African American spirituals. Some of the places they visited include London, England; Paris, France; Crans-Montana, Switzerland; Lichtenstein; Seefeld, Austria; Venice, Italy; and Rothenburg, Germany.

Sarah said this experience reminded her how much she loves her band family and also helped her learn. “I learned a lot of European history, compounding upon much of what I had learned in Whitesell’s class. Thanks to him, it was easy to identify and appreciate much of the artwork and historical landmarks that we saw.” GHHS students have participated in this program (offered every summer) before, but for these eighteen GHHS students it was a new experience.