Who Let the Dogs Out?

Sanda Gugin

Lilja Bjarnason and her dog Rollie

The 12th Annual Harbor Hounds Charity Dog Walk took place on Saturday, September 13th, in downtown Gig Harbor.  The event takes place every year, rain or shine. Hundreds of people participate with their furry friends of all shapes, sizes, and breeds.

Hilary Vergera, Clarice Rigglesford, and Jackson Rigglesford representing Kohl's Cares Association in Action
Sanda Gugin
Hilary Vergera, Clarice Rigglesford, and Jackson Rigglesford representing Kohl’s Cares Association in Action

The 12th Annual Harbor Hounds Charity Walk benefits the Prison Pet Partnership along with the many charities supported by the Gig Harbor Midday Rotary Club. Clarice Rigglesford, junior at Gig Harbor High School, represented the Kohl’s Cares Associates in Action charity. She says, “I love my job and I love impacting the community. It was fun going this year.”

As people walked, they had their entry card stamped by event staff.  At the end of the walk, they could turn in their card for a chance to win in a drawing for great prizes. To quench the dogs walking along the beautiful Gig Harbor waterfront, plenty of water stations were available along the way.

There are also a number of fun contests conducted for people to show off their dogs.  Categories include: Best Tricks, Best Kisser, Best Tail Wagger, Best Dressed, and the fun musical Sit and Stay contest.

Bob Clapper and his dog Jimmy
Sanda Gugin
Bob Clapper and his dog Jimmy

Since the Dog Walk is held right here in the community, many students from Gig Harbor High School attended. Adrian Sandoval, freshman at Gig Harbor High School, says, “I’ve lived here since the 7th grade and since I’ve moved here, I’ve gone to the Harbor Hounds Dog Walk every year. It’s something I enjoy.” When asked what his favorite thing about the Dog Walk is, he replied, “I just like seeing all the different types of dogs. You can see some really interesting breeds that you wouldn’t normally see anywhere else.”