Exchange Students Love Gig Harbor

An Insight About What It Is Like to be an Exchange Student at Gig Harbor High School.

Michal Wipf

Simon (Columbia), Robert Lamken (Germany), Felix Scheller (Germany), Michal Wipf (Switzerland), Marie Schwartz (Germany), Margarita Lazareva (Kazakhstan), Aino Laine (Finland)

Within the last two months, seven students from all over the world followed their dreams. They left their homes and went on a journey to start their exchange year in Gig Harbor. Each of them gets the opportunity to be a junior at GHHS and be here for one whole school year. Of course, everyone is happy to get to experience the amazing spirit of a real American high school.

“Gig Harbor High School is huge! There are so many kids and new faces!” described Marie Schwartz from Germany. All the exchange students agreed; GHHS is about four times bigger than many schools in their home countries. When I asked Margarita Lazareva from Kazakhstan about her impression on the first day of school, she tells me, “I was so impressed! Sometimes I am confused about finding my classrooms, but every time I need help there is somebody who takes care for me!” Like all of the students tell me, GHHS is full of friendly, welcoming and open-minded people!

Robert Lambken from Germany raves, “I love the colors blue and white, the printed clothes and the fight songs!” One thing that the seven students are fascinated about is the amazing school spirit! Football games, homecoming dances, assemblies, school sports and every other kind of school events are things that every foreign exchange student loves! These are all subjects you couldn’t find anywhere else than in an American high school!

My exchange year helps me to grow as a person and it will always be a good experience and memory for my entire life.

— Felix Scheller

When I asked Aino Laine from Finland how she decided to do an exchange year, she said, “I wanted to try something new, challenge myself, learn English and I want to have a great time!” For sure, it’s a huge step you make, leaving your family and friends behind for one whole year. “My exchange year helps me to grow as a person and it will always be a good experience and memory for my entire life” tells Felix Scheller from Germany.

There are many exciting and interesting things about doing an exchange year. It’s a personal development, you get a second family, you learn a language and you experience the American culture!

Everyone has spent a great time so far and is looking forward to experience an amazing rest of their exchange year at Gig Harbor High School!