GHHS Supports our Veterans

Sanda Gugin, Staff

Veterans Day honors the brave men and women who have served in our Armed Forces. As a school, the students and staff of Gig Harbor High School reflect with solemn pride in the heroism of those who have sacrificed in service for our country. As a community, we come together to celebrate the service of all American military veterans, while remembering the men and women who died while serving.

Mr. Billy Shew, an Algebra 2 and AP Statistics teacher at Gig Harbor High School, has served in the Armed Forces.

Q: When and where did you serve?

A: “I served from 1982 to 1989 and I served in Fort Lewis and at the Yakima Firing Center, Washington and in Fort Carson, Colorado.”

Q: What did you learn during your experience in the service?

A: “Dedication and working hard. And getting through your life I guess, you know, when you’re stuck.”

Q: What do you think is the most important thing to remember during Veterans Day?

A: “People, as veterans really do serve. And they go through some stressful situations that we as civilians would never, ever live through. And they do that with a uniform, and they’re proud of what they do, but they do that for our country.”

Q: Do you have any closing remarks?

“I think everyone should serve in some way. It doesn’t have to be through the military, but everyone should serve in some way for our country.”