Gig Harbor Welcomes New Biology Teacher

Gig Harbor High School’s new biology teacher, Mrs. Munkres. Taken by Jordan Dowd.

I was able to interview our new biology teacher, Mrs. Munkres. Before arriving at Gig Harbor High School, Mrs. Munkres taught at North Mason High school in Belfair. This will be her 15th year teaching. Gig Harbor High School is no stranger to Mrs. Munkres, as she also attended and graduated from our amazing school with her twin sister. She used to be on the softball team. Her favorite subject was of course, science, but she also loved art. She loves spending time with her dog Patty, and her family, especially over the summer. With four teachers in her family, teaching is definitely in her blood.

I got to know a little more about our new staff member by asking her a series of questions and these were her responses.

Q: What do you miss about your old school?

A: I would say my twin sister. It was great to be able to teach with her.

Q: What’s your favorite thing about Gig Harbor High School?

A: I have many favorite things. I would say the passion, the people, and the school’s spirit.

Q: When did you know that you wanted to be a teacher?

A: I knew I wanted to be a teacher during my 9th grade in Mrs. Moore’s Biology class.

Q: What’s your favorite thing about teaching?

A: It would be my students for sure.

Q: What’s different since you went here?

A: It’s about the same, nothing much has changed…it’s still the same great school.

Q: What’s your favorite thing about science?

A: It’s hands on and students get to interact with the world.

Q: Where is your favorite vacation spot?

A: It would be Lake Chelan, it’s the best place ever.

Q: If you could describe yourself in 3 words what would they be?

A: I would say…Enthusiastic, outgoing, nerd.

It is amazing to have Mrs. Munkres back teaching in her hometown and part of our staff. After being a student and living in Gig Harbor, she has a strong connection to the community. She is fun and enthusiastic with her teaching, which always makes learning more fun in the classroom. Science is one of her passions and can share that passion with the wonderful learning minds of our young students. We are all looking forward to her time teaching here and can’t wait for the years to come. Gig Harbor will always be our hometown and we are lucky enough to share this with our very own alumni Mrs. Munkres.