5 Tips for Enduring 10 Days of AP Exams

Not all students decide to take AP exams. Some students only take two during their high school careers. Others take eight. Taking all 19 tests that are offered this year would be impossible (and nonetheless expensive). No matter how many exams you decide to endure, these five tips will sure help you get through one of the most exhausting parts of the end of the year.

1. Use your excused absence wisely.

Some Gig Harbor High School students forget that they are technically excused from all classes on the day they have an AP exam. However, it is up to you what you choose to use that time for. In some cases, students spend their time before and/or after exams sleeping in or napping. If you are taking multiple tests, especially in consecutive days, I suggest trying to get the recommended six to eight hours of sleep people need to get enough rest. Others, on the other hand, decide to go out with friends and eat out, stuffing themselves before they go home to take a nap. It’s also important to eat throughout this long testing period. It’s hard to concentrate on an empty stomach! Finally, a few dedicated students also use that time to study for other tests (although for some, this can make you even more tired, so make sure to limit yourself and take constant breaks).

2. Travel to exam locations in groups.

The AP exams only take place in Gig Harbor High School or Peninsula High School. On the days you have to travel far to PHS, consider carpooling. It not only saves you gas, but it would ensure that all your friends could find a parking spot if parking lots are crowded. Most students also like traveling in groups because it helps increase your chances of getting to the exams on time and prepared.

3. Consider working out and exercising before your exam or during exam week.

When your sitting in bed, moaning that you have an AP exam to go to, curled up in a soft, warm blanket, it’s hard to motivate yourself to go outside and exercise. But for some people, taking a 30 minute jog or a 15 minute yoga workout can really wake you up. It’s definitely hard to study when you are in that groggy, slow-morning mindset.

4. Find a friend to sit by for each of your AP exams.

It’s hard enough to encourage yourself to stay positive in the beginnings of the most challenging high school exams, but a cheery friend can sure make that day a whole lot brighter! Tell some crazy jokes to lighten the mood, and just remember to give it your all.

5. Listen to music before exams.

Whether you’re pumping music from your car on the way to the exam, or listening to music while waiting for exam sign-ups to begin, it can help relax your body and put yourself in a peaceful mood before testing. Nerves and anxiety can make test-taking difficult, so sit back, relax, and let the music keep you at ease.

Good luck testing!