GHECO Club

Kicking off the New School Year

Hadley Reeder

GHECO Club members with advisor Ms. Moore.

Hadley Reeder, Staff

As the new school year rolls in so does all of GHHS’ clubs.  One of the most involved clubs in the Gig Harbor community is GHECO.  GHECO is our school’s environmental awareness club started by Ms. Moore.  GHECO stands for Gig Harbor Environmental Community Outreach and it’s what their members do.  They are in charge of emptying out the recycle bins, helping out at local events such as Race for a Soldier, and most importantly educating and raising awareness for environmental issues facing our generation today.

GHECO Club Vice President and President Satchel Smidt and Adrien Weale.
Hadley Reeder

GHECO club president senior Adrien Weale is looking forward to the various events such as compiling a school Waste Audit with the hopes of getting our school to start composting! He says, “My biggest environmental pet peeve is when people use plastic water bottles. Don’t they know that plastic is made out of oil, one of the most destructive resources?!”  But Adrien is not alone.  The club has about 18 loyal members and teacher advisor Ms. Moore who meet every week to discuss what they can do for the health of our planet. Fourth year member senior Evelyn Lundeen has been coming to GHECO since freshman year and thinks that this year will be a year of more involvement and activities.  Vice president senior Satchel Smidt is most excited for all of the new members to join and get involved. If you are looking for volunteer opportunities or just a way to get involved, GHECO meets every day in Ms. Moore’s room, room 309.