Meet Math Teacher Mr. Millard

Noelle Natale

Mr. Millard smiles for a photo.

Q: Hey Mr. Millard, could you tell me a little about yourself?

A: “It is my fourth year working at this high school. I’ve lived here my whole life, born and raised, and went to school here. Math has always been a really big interest of mine, but history is too, which is why I like to do a lot of history approaches. I used to play sports here as well. I know a lot of the teachers and the community. I used to manage a pizza shop in the area (Papa Murphy’s). I help the rugby club in the area. I just had a baby. He is eight and half months old. His name is Ezra and he is adorable and a character too.

Q: Is there anything special you do to prepare for the school year?

A: “Relax! Get a break. The most important part is to rest up and get energized. You can’t burn yourself up. Especially when you’re not sleeping because you have a baby!”

Q:What is the most difficult aspect of teaching?

A: “I guess the most difficult aspect is trying to reach everyone at the same time. Sometimes it is trying to let go of the class to allow the students to develop their own styles versus putting my own styles on them.”

Q:What is the most interesting thing that has ever occurred in your classroom?

A: “When of the coolest things was the pencil structures we made a couple years ago. I had one student make it in a couple different designs. I had him sharpen the pencils before he did it, which was pretty cool.”

Q: Is it weird to teach at the high school you attended as a teenager?

A: “There is always that little weird stuff, but I’m used to it now. Its more weird now to think that I went to school rather than I teach here.”