Gig Harbor High School Welcomes New Staff

Gig Harbor High School is proud to welcome new staff into the Tides family. In the following interviews, Mrs. Patti Vivian, Mrs. Erin Doran Ho, Mrs. Kristine Nyberg, Mrs. Pauline Schembs, and Mrs. Stacey Marten sat down to discuss their experiences thus far.

Patti Vivian – Athletics Secretary

Mrs. Vivian
Sanda Gugin
Mrs. Vivian

Q: What are you most excited about this year?

A: “I’m most excited about working in the high school environment and all the people that I work with.”

Q: Do you enjoy your job?

A: “I do very much.”

Q: Are you looking forward to a good experience working here?

A: “Oh, definitely. I already have had a good experience. So far it’s been fabulous. I work with amazing people and wouldn’t change a thing.”

Erin Doran Ho – Counselor

Mrs. Ho
Sanda Gugin
Mrs. Ho

Q: How did you come to work at Gig Harbor High School?

A: “My family moved out here a year ago from Tacoma. I worked as an elementary school counselor in Tacoma, and took this job because it’s closer to home.”

Q: How has the transition from elementary school counselor to high school counselor been?

A: “It’s been really good. It’s a tough transition since it’s a whole new world in high school but the counseling team here is really supportive and that has helped a lot.”

Q: What is the best thing about your job?

A: “Interacting with students, for whatever reason. Meeting with new students and helping them and being a part of that process is the best thing about my job.”

Kristine Nyberg – Career Center, CTE

Mrs. Nyberg
Sanda Gugin
Mrs. Nyberg

Q: So far how has your experience been?

A: “Absolutely wonderful.”

Q: What do you hope to accomplish during your time here?

A: “Well I just want to make sure that all the students have all the resources they need to be successful, so whether it’s during their high school years or transitioning into college I just wanna make sure they have as many tools as they need to navigate that.”

Pauline Schembs – Nurse

Mrs. Schembs
Sanda Gugin
Mrs. Schembs

A: “Out of nursing school I went to work at Seattle Children’s Hospital so I’ve always done pediatric stuff. About three and a half years ago, I was tired of where I was and driving to the clinics and that’s when I switched into the schools. This is my first time at a high school, and how I got here was the nurse that had worked here was moving on and they needed someone to take over the position. They needed someone in the district, so I volunteered.”

Q: How has your experience working here been so far?

A: “It’s been great. The students are awesome and the staff are wonderful. It’s been really positive.”

Stacey Marten – Librarian

Mrs. Marten
Sanda Gugin
Mrs. Marten

A: “It’s been really good. It’s been a lot busier than I thought it would be, I kinda thought I would be a little lonely in the library but lunch obviously is very busy and keeps me on my toes. The printers are nonstop problems, and there’s computer issues, and there’s lots of classes that use them. Lots of books are coming in and I’m collaborating with teachers and trying to figure out how to get their kids in so it’s been really good.”

Q: What’s your favorite thing about your job?

A: “My favorite thing about my job is that I get to combine three things that I love about education, which is working with students, working with teachers, and working with books.”